- Neissl, Roland
- Zugriffe: 16488
- Über die ÖAG
The Austrian Association of Grassland and Forage production (ÖAG) is a non-profit organisation under private law that provides an Austrian platform for knowledge transfer and implementation into practice. The ÖAG is strongly connected with the Agricultural Research and Education Centre (AREC) Raumberg-Gumpenstein and its scientific work within the fields of grassland and livestock production. The Association currently has about 2.500 members – 95% of them are farmers – and is mainly financed by member fees. The main office is located at AREC.
At the moment 11 thematic working groups are forming the centrepiece of the ÖAG. The chairmen and their representatives are members of the directory board. The working groups are composed of 5-12 experts coming from Austria and neighbouring countries. They are elaborating publications about relevant specific issues in order to spread knowledge.
The thematic working groups currently are:
- Forage production and forage conservation
- Seed production and forage plant breeding
- Animal nutrition
- Organic farming
- Grassland farming, hunting and nature conservation
- Grassland management and fertilization
- Dairy production
- Suckler cow husbandry and beef fattening
- Species-appropriate animal husbandry and animal health
- Grassland farming and horse management
- Alpine pastures
State-of-the-art grassland farming knowledge in its different facets is bundled and provided to ÖAG members and interested persons via the website and ÖAG publications.
Important stakeholders and networking partners of the ÖAG are for example:
- AREC Raumberg-Gumpenstein
- Austrian Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
- Universities and schools
- Cattle- and horse-breeding associations
- Seed production sector
- Chambers of agriculture (advisory institutions)
- Austrian Organic Farming Association
- Agricultural publishing companies
- International agricultural associations, e.g. European Grassland Federation (EGF)
Portfolio of the ÖAG
The ÖAG supports AREC Raumberg-Gumpenstein and other cooperating partners in organising national symposia like Forum of Grassland Experts, Winter Symposium, Hunters´-, Equine- and Animal Husbandry Symposium, etc.
Additionally, the ÖAG plans and coordinates field days in cooperation with schools, advisory institutions, local farmers and agribusinesses. These events bring together people from science, advising, farming, education, economy and politics and enable a direct and personal exchange of knowledge and experiences.
Issue-specific publications are provided by the co-operating agricultural magazine “Der Fortschrittliche Landwirt” and reach approx. 50.000 farmers.
Cheap reprints of the currently ÖAG brochures are provided for ÖAG-Members, schools, advisory institutions and interested persons.
ÖAG members receive post twice a year, containing latest brochures and ÖAG-newsletter. Thematic information can also be downloaded free of charge from the ÖAG website (www.gruenland-viehwirtschaft.at) at any time.